Friday, January 20, 2012

I Work at a Boys' School (or Men's College)

I thought about copying sit-com names for this post. "New Girl." "My Boys." Both shows aptly describe my life and would have worked.  In the end, the direct approach seemed more appropriate.  I feel like this topic could have it's own blog.  In fact, I've flirted with that option on several occasions since I started here at Hampden-Sydney College in July.  But, I figure, due to my lack of consistant blogging, there's room on "Words with Womack" for some insights and stories from my time in guy-land.

So, for my first post regarding life in "Boyville" I will list "things I can and cannot do while living alone and working at a men's college." (Note: Every item on this list is based off of actual events from my life here.)

Things I CAN Do:
-Get my next door neighbor/co-worker to come kill bugs for me at midnight
-Cook (I use that term loosely) dinner for 9 guys and have them rave about how wonderful it is, even though it's not that great and we ran out of food. (Note: Guys love food--any food.)
-Always find someone w/ whom I can watch "the game."
-Drink beer at pretty much any time of the day
-Go on a road trip with or as a +1 to a party for a guy friend who has a long-distance girlfriend, and not get asked any questions about it
-Have someone help me re-pack my artificial Christmas tree and hang pictures on my walls
-Always be told I look or smell nice
-Always be told my apartment is clean
-"Pull the girl card"--(I'm not driving, That's gross, Can you lift this for me?, etc)
-Have fairly candid conversations while receiving valuable insight on the opposite sex

Things I CANNOT Do:
-Find someone to zip my dress when I can't reach it
-Find someone to help me get my measurements for bridesmaids dresses
-Borrow some earrings, shoes, a dress, etc
-Figure out what to wear to an event
-Watch "chick flicks" (unless there is a "hot" actress involved, in which case she gets commented on the entire time)
-Complain when I have "cramps"
-Watch "The Sing Off" with anyone (I would add "The Bachelor" to that list, but to be honest, one of the guys likes it--bonus!)
-Cry
-Be worry-free when one of the boys walks into my house (What have I left lying around?  Is my bathroom clean? Uh oh, my underwear drawer is open.)
-Drive around and sing loudly in the car to cheesey pop songs

I will try and add more to these lists as time goes on.  But, for now, I hope you get a fair glimpse into my life at H-SC. 




No comments:

Post a Comment