Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"So Here's to You, O, Mountain Brook!"

Some of you who subscribe to this blog this will not appreciate having to read my tribute to my high school alma mater. But, too bad.

Since I've been home for Christmas break, I have been running on the track at my old high school a couple of times. Each time I've been there I've seen students. Last week they were streaming in and out of the academic building for finals, and this week some dedicated track athletes were out in the rain participating in "voluntary" winter break work outs. (Anyone who has ever played varsity sports knows that "voluntary" means "if you don't show up coach thinks you're lazy.")

Being back on that track brings back so many memories. Let me first be clear that I was not a stand-out track athlete. I really only did it because I was bored during my volleyball off seasons. So, being on the track, doesn't only remind me of track practice, but of volleyball two a days in the Alabama August heat. Weeks before the state athletic association would let us practice with a ball, coach had us out on that track running timed sprints and miles. There are times I walk onto the track and still almost vomit, just thinking about some of those days. The track also reminds me of Friday nights in Mountain Brook. The track sits within Spartan Stadium, surrounding the football field, and reminding me of great high school memories like sneaking into the football field house to decorate the team's locker room for homecoming senior year, or sitting in the stands in my "MBHS Bubble" t-shirt. Or (both shamefully and happily) dangling my car keys at opposing teams as the final seconds counted down to a Spartan victory. (You have to realize that most of these teams came with banners that said "Bankrupt the Brookies" and things of the sort.)

So why is it that watching "Friday Night Lights," "Remember the Titans," or even "Varsity Blues" makes me teary-eyed? I think it's because, no matter the sport, anyone who has ever suited-up in a uniform bearing the name of their school or their town knows the feelings I'm attempting to convey here. The pride. The anxiety. The excitement. The fun. Competing for the sake of something bigger than yourself, even if you can't articulate it as a high schooler, makes all of the sprints, mile-runs, and "voluntary" work outs more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment